Friday, October 15, 2010

My Lovely Frankenstein, Part 8

The next morning Boris walked down to Judy's house and rang the doorbell. Mr. Parker answered. "Well, hey there, Boris. Did you come to see Judy?"

"Does Judy... hate me?"

"Of course not, Boris. Why would Judy hate you?"

"She missed... the game."

"Oh, that. She stayed home because she wasn't feeling well. Would you like to see her?"

Boris's spirits lightened. "Yes.. want to see... Judy."

He lumbered down the hall to Judy's bedroom. She was still in bed but sitting up reading. Her face lit up when she saw him. "Boris, darling! I'm so happy to see you!"

"I'm... happy... too."

They embraced. Judy said, "I'm so sorry I missed your game last night. I caught cold. I'm still not feeling well. Father told me the bad news about the game. I'm sorry, Boris. Achoo!"

"Bless... you."

"Thanks."

"You... still love me?"

"Of course I still love you, Boris dear, don't be silly."

"Chip... told me... you... did not love me."

"Chip told you what? Why, that hooligan! You shouldn't listen to him, Boris. You know he's just jealous. You don't need to doubt my love for you."

"I know," said Boris with a shrug. "I was... afraid."

"Oh, Boris," said Judy, putting her arms about him, "I'll always love you, my big, green, adorable creature."

****

The other kids, however, had stopped loving Boris. Now, instead of admiring looks or friendly greetings, the other students gave him cold stares or just ignored him altogether. They also called him names and teased him. Frustrated, Boris started wearing jeans, T-shirts, and a leather jacket, put grease in his hair, smoked cigarettes, and got involved in gang fights. He even formed his own gang called The Creeps. Judy was worried.

"Boris, what has gotten into you? You used to be such a nice boy. But now..."

But Boris didn't care. Eventually Judy's parents forbade her to see him.

"And you know what the worst part is, Boris?" said Judy, tearfully. "They don't even need to forbid me, because... well, I don't want to see you anymore, now that you've become a hoodlum!"

This only increased Boris's anger and bad behavior. He was called to Mrs. Allen's office several times.

"Boris, I am very disappointed in you. For most of the semester you have been one of Elmville High's best students and star athletes, and now you have become a juvenile delinquent. If you don't shape up, I shall have no choice but to expel you."

And Dr. Laren said, "Boris, I'm very concerned about you. When I made you, I thought you were the most gentle creature on earth. Now you have become violent and increasingly savage. I did not make you a monster, Boris, but you are becoming one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment