Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Beginning of "V"

I am obviously being much more open about this novel than I was about Bluebird. Below is the beginning passage (for now at least) of my 2nd novel, code-named "V". I must note that the entire novel will not be written in this style. The style will actually vary quite a bit; as I mentioned in the previous post, some passages will take the form of scientific, academic, or journalistic writing, for instance, and the rest (the majority of the text), while being more personal and poetic, will also exhibit variety in style. The below opening passage is conceived, as is much of my writing, like the quickly changing scenes of a movie. It is like a preview of the entire story.

*** 


  I awake to a world of mist and memory. The sound of water rushing…

  In the end, it was her eyes that mattered most. The sound of soft rain on our umbrellas…

  I pick up a cup of coffee and read the headline:

VENUS SHOT FAILS
11 Cosmonauts Presumed Lost; Declared Heroes

  In the Hall, she lights a candle for the fallen, crosses herself, bows her head, and prays.

  My hand touches her inner thigh, her red lips sigh. The sound of candles flickering in the night…

  The loneliness of the evenings while she is away. The cold blue glow of the television. The sound of empty laughter…

  Their dead faces, devoid of light and love, lost to time and the endless black.

  The harsh light of a strange Antarean star, penetrating my frayed mind… oscillating wavelengths of sanity… exerting its salvific gravitational pull on a damned soul. The sound of agonized and hope-filled screaming…


No comments:

Post a Comment