Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I Was A God Once, and Full of Love




I was a god once, and full of love
I ranged high and wide amongst the stars above
I sang of light, of bright and beauteous things
And soared o’er golden clouds on great and glorious wings

There was a time I could remember ages past
But like ancient dawns, times and ages rarely last
Yet in the vision of those distant silver glories
I may still recall a thousand untold stories

Earth’s children did not know me then
They only knew I wasnt one of them
Perhaps in my dark eyes they saw the flame
That burned my strange and secret name

And now I often feel alone upon the earth
My steps untraced, untracked since birth
Yet I, like Jove’s lightning hurled
Shall sing and ring, echoing across the world

And silently streak down the dark and empty sky
To reflect heaven’s spark in a small child’s eye
And at last strike the earth with vast and dying thunder
And it shall sound a song of enduring wonder

And it shall sound a song of enduring wonder

They tried to capture me, to chain me to the world
But I took flight, my brilliant wings unfurled
I know no bitterness, only the joy of the stars above
Because I was once a god, and full of love

*

Steven Holland
October 6-7, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment