Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My First Sonnet

This is my first attempt at composing a sonnet. I hope to write an entire sonnet sequence, which I am tentatively titling the "Azalea Sonnets". This is Sonnet #1.

She is a star sweet and high and rare
She burns above in black and blessed night
Her rays let forth a blue and brilliant light
In deepest dark her grace enchants the air
She is a flower wondrous wild and fair
She sparkles on a serene and sunlit height
Her petals burst so pure and blue and bright
Her radiant perfume rich beyond compare
Alone among the stars she rules the skies
With steady gleam she tugs upon my soul
Alights my heart with languid longing fire
Lets fall dark grace upon my beautied eyes
Sets flame my mind and burns my senses whole
This star not touch but only ever desire

***

Steven Holland
August 28, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment